BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Good Books

I just finished reading 2 good books.
"Agent Zigzag" by Ben Macintyre was great. It is about a man with a criminal past who becomes a spy for the Germans during WWII. He is sent to England to gather war information, but is caught right away by the British. The story goes into detail about how he, Edward Chapman, becomes a double spy and why he does it. The book was slow to start for me, building how he became a spy. Once the storyline gets to the actual spying, it was hard to put down.
"The Painted Veil" by W. Somerset Maugham was a quick read for me, just a couple of days. It takes place during the 1920's when a woman named Kitty, 25, finally gets married to Walter. She only marries him to be married before her sister, who is younger than herself. During her marriage she lives in Hong Kong because of Walter's occupation. During that time, she meets a man, Charile, and begins having an affair with him. When confronted by Walter, she has no choice but to go with him to a remote area of China where cholera is running rampant. It is there she finds who she really is and comes to terms with her past behaviors. I totally recommend this book.

3 comments:

Sleep, what's that??? said...

Did you buy the Painted Veil? Can I borrow it? I've wanted to read that, but wasn't sure??? Sounds really good though!

Anonymous said...

I love historical novels! I will definately check these out!! Good to see you back in the blogosphere :)

little mama said...

Have you seen the movie? It is great, we had it on our Netflix queue...of course I watched it without Jeff! It's one of my favorites now.